The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation is hosting a variety of short, impactful discussions focused on practical tools to support the journalism community, such as combating mis/disinformation, improving email newsletters, connecting diverse talent with organizations committed to more equitable newsroom culture and more.
Each discussion will be held in an interactive video chat. You’ll have the opportunity to directly ask presenters questions, as well as interact with other participants. We encourage cameras and microphones to be on for these discussions, though it’s not required. There is also a text chat available for each session.
Below is a list of each Knight Series session with a brief description of the tool. You can click on any session to learn more about the discussion and presenters.
Tuesday, Oct. 13
- DeFake Project – a deepfake video detection tool built through studies with various journalists |Tuesday, Oct 13 – 2 – 2:30 PM EDT (18 – 18:30 UTC)
- Anonymous Camera – you anonymize photos and videos in real time, locally on your device | 2:45 – 3:15 p.m. EDT (18:45 – 19:15 UTC)
Wednesday, Oct. 14
- The SecureDrop Workstation – simplifies access to SecureDrop (an open source platform for communicating with anonymous whistleblowers) and provides a chat-like interface for communicating with sources | Wednesday, Oct 14 – 1:15 – 1:45 p.m. EDT
- Blacklight – enter the address of any website, and Blacklight will scan it and reveal the specific user-tracking technologies on the site—and who’s getting your data | Wednesday, Oct 14 – 2 – 2:30 p.m. EDT (18 – 18:30 UTC)
- Mathison: Where Diversity & Dream Jobs Meet – a platform to connect employees to employers committed to equity and inclusion | 2:45 – 3:15 p.m. EDT (18:45 – 19:15 UTC)
Thursday, Oct. 15
- Unlocking the data inside video with TV Kitchen – an open source framework that helps unlock the data inside of video, including television |Thursday, Oct 15 – 10:30 – 11 AM EDT (14:30 – 15 UTC)
- Letterhead & WhereBy.Us: Email Newsletters – this new platform puts all the tools in one place for editorial newsletter publishers to create and monetize newsletters. |11:15 – 11:45 AM EDT (15:15 – 15:45 UTC)
- VettNews Cx – The Cx tool offers publishers a better way to manage newsroom corrections, build trust with readers and grow subscribers. |12 PM – 12:30 PM ET (16 – 16:30 UTC)
Friday, Oct. 16
- Ad Observatory & other resources and tools for tracking online political advertising – several tools from research groups can help you track trends on how voters in your state are being targeted by political ads. | 10 – 10:30 AM EDT (14 – 14:30 UTC)
- DocumentCloud Reloaded – this revamped web platform is purpose-built for breaking news situations and features a fresh redesign, improved search capabilities, and supercomputer processing speeds, so you can upload, analyze, collaborate, annotate, and share documents with ease. | 10:45 – 11:15 AM EDT (14:45 – 15:15 UTC)
Other Knight events at ONA20 Everywhere
The Knight Foundation is supporting a number of other incredible conversations at ONA20. You can view Knight’s previous sessions on-demand: